Sunday, September 25, 2016 was a very special day for our St. Bernard’s Community. We celebrated 130 years with Bishop Robert McManus, Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and many families and friends. It was a day of gratitude and joy.
St. Bernard’s Elementary School was founded in 1886 after the Rev. Philip Garrigan asked the Sisters of the Presentation for help in educating his growing parish. Nuns were sent to Fitchburg to begin the school, which has educated thousands of students. This year also marks St. Bernard’s 50th year in our current Summer Street location.
Our school exists today because so many people – Presentation Sisters, Pastors, members of St. Bernard’s Parish, STB parents and students, and faculty and staff continue to live the commitment of “Deeds, not Words.”